A foreign person may consider marrying a person that resides in the United States. If this is the case, they may have some common questions they need answers for before entering into their journey of marriage. These questions can be easily answered and are accessible with a little bit of research. Keep reading below for more information on commonly asked questions by those who would like to live in the United States as a spouse.


What if Your Spouse Is Visiting from His or Her Country?

If a U.S. citizen wishes to marry a foreign person who is visiting from their home country with the correct legal admission, the foreign soon-to-be-spouse needs to fill out the required paperwork: an application for I-130, an application for I-485 Application to Register Permanent Address or to Adjust Status, and the U.S. citizen needs to fill out the Petition for Alien Representative application. If a U.S. citizen wishes to marry a foreign person who resides outside of the United States, then the U.S. citizen still needs to fill out the Petition for Alien Representative and the foreign soon-to-be spouse must fill out the I-130 paperwork. Once this paperwork has been filled out, the consular or immigration lawyer will process it. Then the foreign spouse will be notified on the process of their application.


Can a Spouse Apply for a Social Security Number?

It is possible for a foreign person to apply for a social security number. This can be done for them before they arrive in the U.S. There is an application form to fill out and once this is done and their information has been verified, it will take from 2-4 weeks or longer for them to receive their number.


What if Your Foreign Spouse Has a Child?

If their child is not listed on the I-129 petition, they will not be denied a visa; however, there must be proof that their child is a minor.


Information about the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA)

If the services of an international marriage broker were used to coordinate the marriage the immigration lawyer needs know about this information. The phrase “international marriage broker” is used to explain a service that was paid for to coordinate services such as dating, matchmaking, marriage referrals, partnerships, or social interactions between United States citizens and immigrants who have been granted citizenship in the United States. Under immigration law in the United States, their marriage needs to be made known to their immigration lawyer.


Are There Fines or Penalties for those Giving False Information?

Those that give false information to their immigration lawyer, or document false information on the required paperwork for their intended visa, may be fined up to $10,000 or more, may experience incarceration for up to 5 years, or possibly both.


How to Check on the Status of the Application

The status of their application can be checked by visiting the United State Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office where they received their application. Applicants need to be prepared to give required information about their application in order to obtain the status on it.



It is important applicants completely understand every process that they go through when applying for their visa. It can be a daunting task, but with good help and a little bit of patience they will be on their way to being a married citizen of the United States.


Free Bankruptcy Evaluation Button
Free Bankruptcy Evaluation Button
Call Today Button
Call Today Button
Sign Up For Our Mailing List Button
Sign Up For Our Mailing List Button